Sunday, July 25, 2010

67 In Pearl

67 In Pearl

I watch, as you plant Iris’s down your driveway

Tomorrow we celebrate the day of your Birth

Granted more time for lessons and stories

Unwrapped by those who come to listen

Another year of your footsteps upon this Earth


An occasion worthy of reflection and gratitude

Coveting the future minutes, we may not Get

Able to share in the splendor of our love

Uncertain of birthdays to come

Each moment lived in its fullest – no intent of Regret


A whisper in the wind reminds me to thank you

For all the fires you’ve built to keep us Warm

To honor – you… who gave me life

If not for your breath

I would not have one of my Own


Rich beyond measure, I sit on a carpet of green

Planted with your old Hoe

At night I rest my weary head

In a home built of two weathered hands

By a great man I have come to Know


My provider, my protector, my mentor, my Pop

The man who knows only of Giving

Do you know what a strong and gentle creature

You are? You who carries a torch of kindness

For those who have passed, and those still Living?


Today I knew joy - as I held the sheets to my face

The ones that dried in the summer breeze of Pearl

Seizing another moment of gratitude

You have created more than just a dwelling for us

But an entire World


I wish you Happy Birthday and offer my many thanks

Birds and crickets, lakes and lizards –your vision for living, I share too

For all the little moments taken to cherish each other

They will remind me for lifetimes to come

Of how much I dearly love

and appreciate you.

June 29, 2009



No comments:

Post a Comment