Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Island

by Rochelle Cunningham
© 2007


We discovered each other
On the shifting tides. Before long
I invite you to share my island

Contentment dappled the sand
The breeze whispered calm with Jasmine
A vague scent of future would catch us
Waltzing in the consenting moonlight

Initially embracing pleasure – we come
To share our dreams. They seem to fit
As we talk of sailing away
Eventually. To unfold in loves admission

Then – out of your darkness
Came a shovel - you thrust it
Into my hands: Together we’ll build a better Island!
Reluctantly – I agree

I watch your words reverberate and slither
Down the poised cliffs beyond
Who hold their breath and arch their backs while
I choke on the sounds of their rumble

Confused. As my treasures
Already I have given freely, begin to
Hide beneath unnerving silhouettes. While
Hedonistic desires strangle the salty air

A handle lies dead across my palm. I tighten
My grip and asphyxiate my senses who
Screech from behind painted feathers
Now headed for higher ground

A murky shadow crawls across the narrow
Strip of beach and I hear your voice. This time
Through a peculiar rain: I will take care of our dreams
– If you will trust me

And I did.

And time swept over the island – while I stood
Helpless. Watching your promises wither
The fleshy palm trees. Your lies fill the holes
Where the innocent sand crabs used to play

Yet shamefully beside you
Apprehensively hopeful – I find myself
Powerless to the vitality escaping me.
I continue to dig

With callused hands
Aching back. Emptied soul. I watch
A receding tide with confused
Desperation. I beg of you to relent

A melancholic moon has been watching.
She casts an unfavorable light on your nakedness
While you stand - shovel in hand
Promising - - - promising to stop

But I am too exhausted to continue on
I weep while your blackness engulfs my island
I feel all essence collapsed and burning
You are going to swallow me alive

– I swim away

I did not know.
I loved a Pirate.
Anthony and Rochelle; Oregon Coast 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment