Sunday, July 25, 2010

Let It Rise

by Rochelle Cunningham
© 2009


This conversation is over
No need to seek your guidance
Your opinion is nothing to me

Turn it upside down, shake it out
Whatever falls to the ground
Will lead me, back to you

For years I envied you
Looked to you for direction, for guidance
Who are you? Who are you?

Let it ride, let it rise.
The smoke will clear… no point in looking back.
A new day – A new day will appear.


The last one out, shut off the fucking lights
Don’t forget to feed the dog
We won’t be back to see you off

Tire tracks in the snow will lead us to you
If you could just stand still
Fingers clenched around a long-neck bottle

Because the last one standing does not win
We just let him think he will
Who are you? Who in the hell do you think you are?

Let it ride, let it rise.
The smoke will clear… no point in looking back.
A new day – A new day will appear.


Alone in your head, alone at our table.
Get past the holes in my face, the color on my back.
You've already painted the spaces foul

Your judging lips lead me to you
Sleepless nights help me to see
It will never be the same as it was before

Gotta catch the truth before it disappears
Convictions that hiss with laughter
Who are you? Who are you supposto be?

Let it ride, let it rise.
The smoke will clear…
There’s no point in looking back…
Because in another day, you will appear to me

No comments:

Post a Comment